Date:      Thu, 6 May 2004 08:12:26 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB fash devices and dd

--QKFUq+IbM9AW97yF

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 06:16:10PM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
+> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:15:17AM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
+> > On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:04:26PM +0200, Soeren Straarup wrote:
+> > >=20
+> > > Hi
+> > >=20
+> > > I was reading the vol_msdosfs thread and this is what i've seen IRL
+> > >=20
+> > > When dd'ing from a usb dongle to a file and then remove the dongle d=
uring
+> > > this operation, then a kernel panic might ocour. I can't tell where =
the
+> > > chain breaks. All this has been taken place on a 5.1-R box.
+> >=20
+> > Only "might occur"? I would have thought it would panic 100%! The corr=
ect
+> > solution to this problem is "Don't do that"
+>=20
+> Despite my flippant response, this is a FAQ. I have heard some rumblings
+> that this may be fixed One Day (tm), but I wouldn't hold my breath. The
+> problem is deep in the kernel and is non-trivial to fix (from what I've
+> been told anyway).

AFAIR I was having simlar problem with gbde on usb bar (da0) when file
system from this device was mounted. I was able to fix panic in gbde,
I was able to fix cam(4), but I wasn't able to fix UFS (maybe I should
try harder). Anyway, without mounted file system it should be possible
to fix this quite easy.

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl