Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:59:53 -0700
From:      Dave Peacock <dave@sackheads.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall not upgraded during 4.4 binary upgrade

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 06:14:24PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> I'd be happy to submit some changes to the handbook and/or FAQ if there are
> some areas which may be confusing. But I couldn't actually find anywhere in
> either document that suggests what you paraphrased above.
>
> Can you be more spacific about parts of the documents that were unclear?

Certainly.

I actually found this in the INSTALL.[TXT|HTM] in the root of the CD /
FTP install tree. Just near the beginning of section 3, Upgrading.

"Important: These notes assume that you are using the version of sysinstall(8)
supplied with the version of FreeBSD to which you intend to upgrade. Using a
mismatched version of sysinstall(8) is almost guaranteed to cause problems and
has been known to leave systems in an unusable state. The most commonly made
mistake in this regard is the use of an old copy of sysinstall(8) from an
existing installation to upgrade to a newer version of FreeBSD. This is not
recommended."

Thanks! :-)

--
Dave Peacock - dave@sackheads.org