Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:10:55 -0800
From:      Jason DiCioccio <Jason.DiCioccio@Epylon.com>
To:        'Umesh Krishnaswamy' <umesh@juniper.net>, "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Defeating SYN flood attacks

Linux is for people who hate Microsoft

- -----Original Message-----
From: Umesh Krishnaswamy [mailto:umesh@juniper.net]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 12:10 PM
To: David G. Andersen
Cc: freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG

"David G. Andersen" wrote:

> FreeBSD has been synflood resistant for several years.  To a first
> order, you cannot effectively synflood a decently provisioned
> FreeBSD box and deny service to it UNLESS your "synflood" is really
> just a bandwidth consumption attack that eats up all of their
> bandwidth.
>
> There was a problem that cropped up about a year ago where a
> *really high volume* syn flood could cause some kernel problems,
> but that's fixed in all of the recent 4.x versions.  Really high
> volume means 10Mbps+.

Cool. That is good to hear. I just verified that the synflood attack
does not bring
down a 3.3.4 machine. If anybody knows off the top of their head, the
kernel source
files which have the fixes, it would help.

Thx.
Umesh.

>   -Dave
>
> Lo and behold, Umesh Krishnaswamy once said:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I wanted to double-check which version of FreeBSD (if any) can
> > address a SYN flooding DoS attack. The latest FreeBSD sources
> > (tcp_input.c and ip_input.c) do not seem to have any code to
> > address such an attack. Maybe I am missing something.
> >
> > So if you folks can enlighten me on whether or how to handle the
> > SYN attack from within the kernel, I would appreciate it. I am
> > aware of ingress filtering; while that can help attacks from
> > randomized IP addresses, it will fail in the case of an attack
> > from a spoofed trusted IP address. Hence the desire to look into
> > the kernel for a fix.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Umesh.

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message
> >

> --
> work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
>       MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
> http://www.angio.net/

------_=_NextPart_000_01C05BD2.D08C5472
	filename="Jason DiCioccio.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:DiCioccio;Jason
FN:Jason DiCioccio
ORG:epylon.com;operations
TITLE:UNIX ADMIN
ADR;WORK:;;645 Harrison St;San Francisco;CA;94107;usa
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:645 Harrison St=0D=0ASan Francisco, CA 94107=0D=0Ausa
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:Jason.DiCioccio@Epylon.com
REV:19990105T135529Z
END:VCARD

------_=_NextPart_000_01C05BD2.D08C5472--