Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:30:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Philippe MICHEL <phm@tpgnet.net>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2940UW - file comparisons on CD

Hello,

I just joined the list, and hope I'm not doing a mistake in writing here.

I use a 1505 and a 2940-UW on Slakware-Linux. All my SCSI devices are for
the moment on the 1505 (CD-Writer, HP-Travan, Ext-Zip). I just let one, a
CD-Rom on the 2940.

If I copy the files from the CD-Rom to the disk, and then compare them with :

	$ find . -type f -exec cmp {} /mnt/cdrom/{} \;

I always get differences, I do NOT get if I connect the same CD-Rom to the
1505. If I use the CD-Writer, I can NOT get the smallest correct CD, but with
the 1505 yes. The streamer brings the same results.

Of course I tried several kernel versions,
the last one is 2.0.36 with the driver version 5.1.4.
I corrected the lines around 8360 like recently suggested, but I still
can observe these problems.

The rest of the system works very fine. I am wondering of course why I have
this problems, and nobody else of the world ! But I am now on the deep point,
where I do not know what read, test, change, look any more.

The only explaination I read somewhere, is that the FreeBSD has a different
philosophie than Linux for the hardware handling, which could makes problemes.
I whish this is only wind !

Of course I'm ready to help, try or change anything needed, if somebody has
an idee ?

Many thank for any help,

- Philippe MICHEL
- phm@tpgnet.net