Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 2012 08:27:25 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Jin Guojun <jguojun@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sysinstall@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/164399: 9.0 installer failures

On Feb 3, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Jin Guojun wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR bin/164399; it has been noted by GNATS.
>=20
> From: Jin Guojun <jguojun@sbcglobal.net>
> To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
> Cc:=20=20
> Subject: Re: bin/164399: 9.0 installer failures
> Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 21:13:45 -0800 (PST)
>=20
> For problem #3, here is more information (by repeating to create the same=
 p=3D
> roblem for each case below)=3D0A=3D0A1) FreeBSD Release 6.4 has no proble=
m to i=3D
> nstall, but both 8.2-R and 9.0-R failed install.=3D0A=3D0A2) Use 9.0 inst=
allati=3D
> on CD to install FreeBSD 9.0 by using entire disk, 9.0 will boot.

Selecting "use entire disk" caused the 9.0 installer to write a GPT scheme =
to your disk (versus legacy MBR scheme).

> Then inst=3D
> alling the original Windows by using recovery CD by using part of the dis=
k =3D
> drive, then try to install 9.0 again, 9.0 installer still cannot see the =
pa=3D
> rtition table although FDISK sees partition table has no problem at all.

In FreeBSD 9, FDISK partition tables can be read and written using the "fdi=
sk" utility, BUT...

If the disk has a GPT partition table, the device-nodes in /dev associated =
with the FDISK partition table ***will not be created*** until you destroy =
the GPT scheme (using "gpart destroy").

This correctly implies that you cannot simultaneously use GPT and FDISK wit=
hin FreeBSD 9 on the same disk, it's one or the other.

> =3D0A=3D
> =3D0APS: The 9.0 seems preparing installation and partitioning the disk l=
ike =3D
> Linux. This is no longer a BSD style :-(

You're not alone. Many of us dislike the "everything on one big root" too. =
It's not safe (e.g., filling "/tmp" fills boot partition), and it's not BSD=
 style.

If you'd like to install FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE with the old style partitionin=
g, please try my custom installer that uses the old sysinstall(8) (versus n=
ew bsdinstall(8)) installer:

http://druidbsd.sf.net/

Instructions here:

http://druidbsd.sf.net/freebsd_druid.shtml

NOTE: However, since you've written GPT layout to disk, you'll have to clea=
r that before you can use sysinstall(8). No bother, just boot into the inst=
aller and then press Alt+F4 to go to the "holo shell" where you type first =
"rescue" (hit ENTER) and then "gpart destroy DISKNAME" (where DISKNAME is s=
omething like "ada0" -- use "sysctl kern.disks" to list disks available).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.