Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:49:21 +0800
From:      "Intron is my alias on the Internet" <mag@intron.ac>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, rdivacky@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some Linux Applications Have Been on Strike

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> Quoting Intron is my alias in the Internet <mag@intron.ac> (from Thu,  17
> Aug 2006 07:53:48 +0800):
>
>> Some Linux applications have been on strike against new Linuxolator
>> (sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16) and new ports (linux_base-fc-4_7
>> and linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5).
>>
>> Mozilla 1.7.12
>> Firefox 1.0.7
>
> Great! 2 Open Source applications which exhibit the bugs. Now Roman  can
> compile a debug version of one of them and try to track down where  it
> breaks. Thanks for the report!
>
>> Adobe Reader 7.0.8
>
> But not for all PDF files. I have some files which work just fine, and
> some files which immediatly trigger the bug. Starting acroread without
> any filename on the command line worked just fine every time for me.
>
>> At the same time, Firefox 1.5.0.6 goes out on strike from time to time.
>
> Roman reported to me it works for him. Can you please provided use  cases
> where it doesn't work?
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.
>
> --
> We are not loved by our friends for what we are;
> rather, we are loved in spite of what we are.
> 		-- Victor Hugo
>
> http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
> http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137

My running environment:
1. CVSup-ed source tree and port tree on August 15th 12:20 (calculated for
     GMT)
2. sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16
3. New ports: linux_base-fc-4_7, linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5,
    linux-gtk-1.2.10_4 and linux-gtk2-2.6.10

Here, Adobe Reader 7.0.8 doesn't work at all but its beautiful Adobe Logo.
Mozilla 1.7.12 (GTK 1) and Firefox 1.0.7 (GTK 2) don't work at all but
their corpse processes. Firefox 1.5.0.6 (GTK 2) works occasionally, so that
I can write mail to you in it.

I'm afraid that debugging those large programs is difficult. Their strike
probably has something to do with userland runtime libraries such as GLIBC
and XLib.

I don't know the meaning of kernel messages:

second wakeup
second wakeup
second wakeup
second wakeup