Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:55:42 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        amora@zoom.es
Cc:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spanish documentation - needed anyhow?

On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 at 07:32:36PM +0100, Jesus A. Mora Marin wrote:

>>> :-)
>>> Never thought of it, but I do like the idea of finding Spanish
>>> equivalents instead of using the English word. I don't consider
>>> myself a purist however. There simply are words which never existed
>>> in Spanish and using something simmilar or equal to the English word
>>> is not really bad (in my opinion).
>>
>> So, would a FIFO (First In, First Out) be called a PEPA (Primera En,
>> Primera Afuera)? :)
>
> Well, some vendors translate the acronym WYSIWYG as VAQA ("Va A
> Quedar Asi"), pronounced like Sp. VACA(=cow) :)
> Perhaps it's not a very fortunate try, but it's true that WYSIWYG is
> a word hard to pronounce for a Spanish reader (think that "W" is a
> foreign letter in Sp., and it contains only one vowel, what's
> unusual in Sp.) But, generally it's better let acronyms untouched,
> IMHO.
>
> Jesus

This is a little off-topic, but I got a message this morning from Andy
Oram (the author of O'Reilly's "make" book), pointing me to an
automatic translation service:
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?.  For the
laugh of it, here's your last paragraph translated into "Spanish":

> Bien, algunos vendedores traducen el WYSIWYG de las siglas como VAQA
> (" Virginia un Quedar Asi "), pronunciado como los sp. VACA(=cow):)
> **time-out** quizás él ser no uno muy afortunado intento, pero él ser
> verdad que WYSIWYG ser uno palabra difícilmente para pronunciar para
> uno español programa de lectura (pensar que " W " ser uno no nativo
> carta en sp., y él contener solamente uno vocal, qué ser inusual en
> SP.)  Pero, está generalmente dejó mejor las siglas sin tocar, IMHO.
>
> Jesús

I particularly like "Virginia" and "**time-out**".

BTW, the letters "Y" in WYSIWYG are also vowels.

Greg