Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:40:34 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portupgrade wishlist (was Re: portupgrade forget package options)

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 01:26, Josh Carroll wrote:
> [snip: portupgrade waiting in config dialogs]
>
> Some ports have a config make target which will save options. For
> ports that do not, you can use pkgtools.conf and set MAKE_ARGS for
> that port.

I know the answer is probably going to be one of:
a) you have the source;
b) it's too hard;
c) you can already do it by ....;

but I would very much like to see an option added to portupgrade like the
-F/--fetch-only option for fetching distfiles, which would run any config
target (recursing to required/dependent packages according to flags), and
then stop. It could be called something like --configure, and abbreviated
-j (mnemonic jumpstart: I'm reaching, since portupgrade is running out of
meaningful single-letter options), and used like:

portupgrade -Nj # jumpstart config dialogs for port and requirements
portupgrade -F  # fetch distfile(s)
portupgrade -NR # install/upgrade ports and requirements, unattended

This would allow ports and their requirements/dependents to be configured
interactively at the first step, and compiled/installed unattended at the
last step.

Jonathan