Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:44:55 -0700
From:      Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   limit to data in flight

--==_Exmh_1318550241P

Hi all,

I'm seeing something strange here...  I have a freebsd box running
iperf (4.6-RELEASE-p1, iperf 1.6.2 with pthreads patches).  When
attempting to use a 1MB tcp window, the box won't put more than 256kB
in flight after the first connection to a given host.

I seem to remember hearing/reading/whatever that freebsd keeps track
of congestion stats for a route in the kernel routing table and
primes the congestion window for new sockets to the same destination
with the previous values (thus eliminating a congestion avoidance
cycle on each new socket).  High-bandwidth connections between the
hosts in question (the other is a linux box of indeterminate recent
version) do hit congestion the first time.

However, in this particular case (since this is a test machine that
we use to diagnose network problems) I'd like to be able to turn it
off.  I didn't see anything in sysctl that looked obvious, but I'm
perfectly willing to believe I missed it.

So, can this be turned off?  Also, what is the timeout on this data
in the kernel?

Thanks!

		--eli

Eli Dart                                          Office: (510) 495-2999
NERSC Networking and Security Group               Cell:   (510) 703-4508
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory             Fax:    (510) 486-4316
PGP Key fingerprint = C970 F8D3 CFDD 8FFF 5486  343A 2D31 4478 5F82 B2B3

--==_Exmh_1318550241P

--==_Exmh_1318550241P--