Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 1995 11:25:54 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ^Z behaviour

"Christoph P. Kukulies" writes:

>His users were happy users of the med editor (ex PCS people,
>when will be a port of med available? Jordan, are you listening ?:-)
>and have this ^Z built into their finger memory. So it happens
>that they send vi permanently into background, wondering and starting
>over with a pile of vi sessions in bg.

MED is owned by Dittmar Krall and was sold by PCS under license from him.
Didn't he ever contact you ? I remember giving him your E-Mail address
sometime last year when I told him you'd asked about MED under FBSD.
Of course, he'll want a license fee.

>I tried stty susp ^P or something but it seems that the ^Z
>behaviour is built into vi.
>
>Any ideas how to help these people?

I don't know. Make a custom version of vi ? Or wean them from this nasty
habit (which is a result of M. Uhlenberg's predeliction for using ^Z as EOF
instead of ^D as any normal UNIX user would do. He even built it into
the PCS kernels !).

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de