Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:40:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: root only: (was Re: comments on this change please.)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Michael Hancock wrote:
>
> > > Regardless how many asterisks you put in there, you already lose.
> > > There are tons of local config files in and under /etc.

> I don't know of other people's opinions (apart from Terry, but i knew
> this before, so it's not really news to me), but i'm rather satisfied
> with having all my local configuration inside /etc.  (/var/cron/tabs
> is also a link into /etc for me.)  The entire /etc directory nicely
> fits even onto a floppy, and it basically saves my entire machine
> configuration.

I had a crash which removed /kernel and turned /etc into a file. Made
booting somewhat awkward.  I would have really appreciated a read-only /
filesystem then.  I'd like to see changing config data live on a separate
partition.  While most things in /etc don't change often, things like
passwords change at unpredictable times.

Danny