Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 19:15:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   COMCONSOLE speed

A few questions...

First, regarding COMCONSOLE and FreeBSD 2.1R:

 o COMCONSOLE seems to have a default setting of 9600 baud,
   which makes sense, because the serial driver probe seems
   to set the serial driver to this value also.

   But it would be nice if you could set COMCONSOLE to 57600
   or something different. 9600 baud is pretty slow.

 o COMCONSOLE in conjunction with netboot doesn't work so
   well, I guess because netboot doesn't initialize the serial
   port (and DOS seems to leave it in some stupid state). The
   result is garbled output between the time the boot begins
   and the time the serial ports are initialized (to 9600 baud).

Secondly, has anyone else gotten FreeBSD to detect the following
internal modems? I can't:

 o Cardinal 28.8 v.34 faxmodem

 o ZOOM faxmodem v.34i (model 275)

On my system I get "sio2 not found at 0x3e8" with these modems
when others (eg, US Robotics) seem to work.

I don't think I have the jumpers wrong or anything dumb like that.
Of course, you never know.

Finally, is it the case that FreeBSD 2.1R *requires* a vga card
to be installed in order to even boot? My netboot kernel page faults
after the device probes when I take out the video card.

What about -current? How hard is this to fix and what's the nature
of the problem?

Curiously,
-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com   *   Whistle Communications Corporation