Date:      Tue, 30 May 1995 02:15:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        wsantee@wsantee.oz.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org

> > > Did I miss something?  Looks like the SUP server has been down pretty
> > > much all day.  If this was a 'scheduled outage' then I guess everybody
> > > gets to laugh at me and I'll go back and read all my e-mail.  If not,
> > > anybody know what the problem is?
> >
> > You missed something, have you been reading your -current and -commit
> > mailling lists????
>
> I've been noticing very long delays lately between the time a message
> is posted to any of the freebsd-* lists and the time it makes it back
> to my mail machine.  Checking the headers on your message about sup
> being disabled shows a delay of 8 hours between the time you sent
> the message and the time it got into my mailbox (and that machine is up
> 24 hours a day, and looking through my mail today shows that it has
> been receiving mail regularly all day), so this guy could very well have
> read all his mail and still not seen anything.

Today was a bad day for Majordomo, it got screwed up with 3 zombie
processes that stopped all Majordomo based mail up for about 2 or 3
hours until we could find some one on site at WC to do a reboot.

This has happened a few times in the past, and may explain *some* of
the delays, but not all of them.

> I regularly receive responses to my messages hours before my original
> message makes it back to me.  Is it really taking that long to process
> everyone on the mailing list during the first pass over the message,
> or is sendmail giving up and queueing the message for a few hours
> before finishing the first pass over the message?

It probably makes it down the who list on the first pass, skipping those
who have DNS, host or other timeout's and then defers the remaining
addresses.

Realize Freefall is process one heck of a pile of mail these days,
over 100K messages a day often.  Right now it looks low:

freefall:cvswork {111} mailstats
Statistics from Sat May 27 04:19:52 1995
 M msgsfr bytes_from  msgsto   bytes_to  Mailer
 0      0          0K   1026       2285K  prog
 1      0          0K    394        875K  *file*
 3   2703       6324K   3653       7964K  local
 4   1227       3585K 263175     531621K  smtp
 T   3930       9909K 268248     542745K
freefall:cvswork {112}

I see turn around times on my messages well under 10 minutes in most
cases, if your seeing 8 hours you probably have a DNS or route problem
that is causing your mail to get defered :-(.  That and I am at the
top of the lists, and your probably quite far down on them depending
on when you joined the list.