Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:37:19 +0000
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Giovanni Trematerra <giovanni.trematerra@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFQ] make witness panic an option
References:  <CAJ-Vmo=i=Amo_QqHi4GnGie0Gc0YnK3XaRKjvBO-=SFboFYPmA@mail.gmail.com> <CACfq090EiEiG7Ou2ZMUafWN6GLT9RNK1Q4tiOHnOBWe8GYJDjA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmonE3myRyeZ%2BAe0ZOXf7wKvC44rRVkFfDaEwnk8C-=5uoA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-FndCZPand_rx_uXUeetGMUZu1syGwjdFS7jv9BwdzuXvXOA@mail.gmail.com> <20121125123920.GI1460@garage.freebsd.pl> <CAJ-FndCnfqG4b_StS26WcPT-RhAhvJOOVryJ7rhi__y8Xkr92g@mail.gmail.com> <20121125131252.GJ1460@garage.freebsd.pl>

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:42:16PM +0000, Attilio Rao wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> > WITNESS is a development tool. We don't ship production kernels with
>> > WITNESS even compiled in. What is more efficient use of developer time:
>> > going through full reboot cycle every time or reading the warning from
>> > console, unloading a module, fixing the bug and loading it again?
>> >
>> > And if this option is turned off by default what is the problem?
>>
>> Yes, so, why do you write here?
>
> I'm trying to understand why do you object. Until now the only concern
> you have that I found is that you are afraid of it being abused. I don't
> see how this can be abused if it is turned off by default. If someone
> will commit a change that will turn it on by default, believe me, I'll
> unleash hell personally.

So I don't understand what are you proposing.
You are not proposing to switch BLESSING on and you are not proposing
to import Adrian's patches in, if I get it correctly. I don't
understand then.

Attilio