Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:02:40 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <jahnke@sonatabio.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMware3 and APIC

I have recently installed VMware3 from ports on a fairly current 6.1
system (x.org 6.9/FC-4 linux base), and overall it works very well.  I
have one issue, though: it seems that APIC has to be disabled;
otherwise, one gets vmmon issues and the program crashes.  This is a
severe limitation since I am running this on an SMP host.

Orlando Bassotto mentions on his web site that he has disabled SMP
support for FreeBSD 5, and hopes to update it "soon."  However, it seems
that his page is not updated often and there has been quite some work
behind the scenes to get VMware working as well as it does on 6.1, and
that is not mentioned.

Does anyone have a suggestion on whether enabling APIC works in any form
for VMware3, or am I just out of luck?  Any progress on this front on
VMware4?

Thanks much.

Frank