Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 14:30:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP? Upgrade to FreeBSD-current problem

I was running FreeBSD 2.1.7, and upgraded to the latest FreeBSD current
snap (as of Wednesday).  Everything seemed to go fine, until I booted for
the first time.  Now, the way I upgraded is to do what I've done from
other versions up to this time, which is to basically mv 'etc' to
'etc.bak' and then just do a standard install over my existing filesystems
(then later re-integrate whatever I had in etc myself--I like this better
than the standard upgrade because it didn't do too good of a job with
upgrading things in etc, especially when you have lots of changes).

Anyway, now when it boots, it does the fsck on the disks and then bombs
out with:

mount: exec mount_ not found in /sbin, /usr/sbin: No such file or
directory Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

*boggle*  So I drop to sh and try to manually mount the slices.  For
information's sake, my fstab is:

/dev/wd0s1b	none	swap	sw	0	0
/dev/wd0a	/	ufs	rw	1	1
/dev/wd0s1f	/usr	ufs	rw	1	1
/dev/wd0s1e	/var	ufs	rw	1	1

Doing:

    mount /dev/wd0s1f /usr

(fsck is already done) returns:

    mount: ufs filesystem is not available

?? I thought mebbe it was looking for mount_ufs, but isn't ufs a part of
the standard mount exe?

Help?  I have a crippled system that needs to serve DNS and HTTP proxy,
what can I do to get it back up and running?