Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 23:40:20 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   NetWare / IPX routing facts and a question

Hi,

(sheesh, I received 17000 messages through all the freebsd groups
since April!!!! How can anyone read this?)

To the point: this message contains a little give and take.

GIVE: A quick report of what is possible with IPX/Netware stuff
in FreeBSD.

TAKE: Looking for people who use the FreeBSD IPX/Netware stuff
for production and can lend a hand with some of IPX weirdnesses.
Please write to me directly (in addition to copying the list,
I may not find your answer otherwise.)

Here goes ...

GIVE: I have set up a series of small PCs (Flytech 533 MHz Celeron
with 8 MB DiskOnChip, 64 MB RAM, and the SOEKRIS board with AMD
i486 class PC on a chip, 133 MHz, 8 MB CompactFlash, 32 MB RAM)
with FreeBSD. I started with PicoBSD but have developed my own
Makefile based environment to build the images for these boxes.
Very slick.

My boxes are VPN tunnel endpoints, routers, NAT boxes, firewalls,
traffic conditioner and shaper all in one. I do IPX routing including
tunneling through the VPN. VPN is IPsec in tunnel mode (without gif
as it's meant to be.) I don't do IKE (racoon) just yet, but soon.
For IPX I have to deal with 802.2 Ethernet frame types, so I use
the pseudo-device ef(4) to handle those frame types. IPXrouted
runs of course. For the tunneling of IPX traffic I use Boris Popov's
experimental if_nwip.[hc] driver. I build only static kernels
without dynamic module stuff, so I hooked the if_nwip stuff into
the /sys/conf/files and options lists and it works. There is a
problem with the BPF hooks and I have reported a kernel bug
(kern/27601) on some other strangeness, which doesn't become manifest
if I have two or more different ethernet device types in my kernel
(even though I use only one of them.)

Once the nwip device is known to the kernel I use the nwipcfg
tool (also from Boris Popov) to set up the tunnel through the
IPsec tunnel. The IPX packets are simply forwarded using UDP
to the other side. I also planned to do this using the tap(4)
device, but why reimplementing nwip if it works?

Physicians now do video conferences from home through cable
internet. They see patients at a nursing home at night. This
works very nicely through the FreeBSD goodies. It was absolutely
crucial for us to use the great ALTQ traffic shaping stuff
with class based queueing to allow good audio and control
connections through the bottlenecked outgoing channel. ALTQ
has done miracles for us.

I can give more specifics about all of these things if you want.
Ask me if you have questions or problems with any of this. I plan
on publishing a bit more about it. FreeBSD is great!

TAKE: Now the problem. IPX acts very strangely. Oftentimes I
can connect to the main IPX network and sometimes Novell servers
aren't seen. They appear in the server list (nlist, or SAP stuff)
but as soon as you try connecting to them they sometimes can't be
connected. We have a large campus network with thousands of Novell
servers. All of them are supposed to use 802.2 and almost all of
them do. Certainly the servers I'm interested in use the right
frame type. The systems that talk though the FreeBSD router are
DOS, Novell, and Windows machines. We run a Revelation data base
over IPX and it sometimes will do fine and sometimes fail to start.
I am sure there is something completely stupid going on.

I assume that the FreeBSD's IPX routing works flawlessly for
every connection because why should it not? Yet sometimes it seems
to not work. Is there some timeout I need to change on clients
or servers? The randomness of the problem points toward some
random timing problems. But I am really not an IPX guru and I
don't know all the little corners I should be looking at. I
did change all clients to use the 802.2 frame type only and
that seemed to help things a little. But there are still
those episodes of not-workingness, where one can't login to
a server, or even if one did login, the Revelation IPX stuff
would fail and die. Also the machine's booting appears overall
slower. I know this is not a Windows helpdesk, but you know
how these things are, the first one who gets blamed is this
self-made little "Linux-box". And I want the victory be FreeBSD's!

So, whoever works with IPX and FreeBSD as IPX router, please
contact me so I can pick your brain!

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine