Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:00:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi@oav.net>
To:        Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>, FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Current unassigned ports problem reports

Hi Anders,

[...]

> First of all, this is a volunteer project. You can not make anyone do
> something they don't want. Second, people typically have other things
> they need to prioritize (sleep, job, girlfriends, friends, socialize,
> etc.). Third, if none of the committers have an interest in that
> particular PR, well what do you suggest we do?

You are totaly right... but... I did like some people there do, waiting
because we have also priority higher than this too... The fact is that
some some pending ports can be hell to integrate since when there is too
mutch dependances and when they are outdated give some more work to the
commiter than at the begining... (my port was something like this).

Also maybe FreeBSD teams needs some help from people... This maybe a good
thing to ask.... ?

> I know it can be frustrating to not have your PRs looked at, I've been
> there myself. But anyway, a friendly "can someone look at this", "this
> port with software foo can really make a difference because x y z and
> q!" or "i tested this port - it rocks - please commit it!" is much more
> constructive than "why on hell this..". Committers need motivation too,
> and ranting over PRs getting older may be demotivating.

You are right... This should help, maybe a quick note about that on porter
handbook may help...

> >> Perhaps another CVS tree (/usr/testports?), where non-committers can test the
> >> submitted ports and provide feedback?
> > Maybe this should be a good idea....
>
> What is wrong with testing ports and adding feedback to their PRs in the
> FreeBSD GNATS database? Many committers have a stroll through open PRs
> now and then (myself included), and if users have been testing/asking
> for something to be committed, I would expect the PRs in question to
> have a better chance of getting committed.

There is nothing wrong in the way it is doing... except that we have ask
for something to be committed when PR originator thinks it is too late
with no news... Maybe you need some people to help on this... ?

/Xavier

--
Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
For mail address, please check header of this mails. Spams are not accepted.