Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 02:00:49 -0300
From:      Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        y u r i k <koroby398@ifrance.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie needs advice

Brennan W Stehling wrote:

> So now I have stopped exploring Linux and now only use FreeBSD for my
> server systems.  At home I have an iMac running OS 9 on a network which is
> fed by a DSL connection to the internet.  I have a FreeBSD box acting as a
> firewall and Network Address Translator.
>
> It works great and it is very easy for me to keep running smoothly.  And
> with each new release of FreeBSD it keeps getting even easier.  And this
> list is also very helpful when the answer is hard to find on a FreeBSD
> website.
>
> But if you are really new to Unix in general, Linux may be a good
> solution.  There is a frustration level with FreeBSD that you have to get
> passed.  It's focus is on the server side, not the desktop as it is for
> Linux.  It does not autodetect your video and sound card and that can be
> difficult to set up in FreeBSD if you have not done it before.

As you said, linux is a desktop focused OS. FreeBSD a server focused.
But there is some misconceptions about what you think! Linux does not
helps you detecting Graphical cards, sounds, etc. It's the instalation
utilities (comes with the dire linux distros, like Suse, RedHat,
Caldera) that performs such an action.
If you wants to set up things like X, just run XF86Setup, configuring
sound is easy too.
I think freebsd does much more than expected: who needs sound for a
server environment......
If you seek for a decent linux distro, try slackware! IT'S THE ONLY ONE
WORTH ENOUGH!

> With Linux it seems to get the video and sound working rather easily and
> you are all set to go.  After learning enough in the Linux world, you
> could transition to FreeBSD more easily as you will be comfortable with a
> half graphical/half command-line system.

> I am comfortable with FreeBSD because my initial experience with computers
> was DOS.  If you come from something like Windows95 and never used the
> command-line, you may not be very happy with FreeBSD at all.

FreeBSD does not need make users happy. What it really need is some to
make it happy.

just my two cents...

--
Your mouse has moved.
Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect!

Reboot now?   [ OK]