Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:03:37 -0400
From:      Matt <matt@forsetti.com>
To:        Jalle <defacto@home.se>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/XFree questions

<snip>

>> I was hoping XFree would be useable, so I could run some apps
>> remotely using Apple’s X11 on OS X. Which leads to question #2… how
>> does one run an X application remotely like that, and have just the
>> GUI on the local box? The machines would be on the same subnet
>> 192.168.1.x, with the FreeBSD box on an Ethernet interface and the
>> Powermac (1.25 ghz duallie) on 802.11g.
>

> If you are not interested in running a full desktop from your server
> (XDMCP I would guess), I'd suggest you try X over SSH (ssh -X)
> Google around and you will find some useful stuff on this. I can't
> tell you how well/bad it interacts with OS X though.

</snip>

Exporting X clients from FreeBSD to your Apple's X11 server works great,
either natively (xhost, $DISPLAY) or over SSH (ssh -X hostname). The
quartz_wm window manager Apple provides integrates your X clients
beatifully, using the same window decorations and management as Apple's
native interface. Very seamless integration.
I suggest trying the ssh -X method first (less work) -- simply ssh from
your OSX/X11 terminal to your FreeBSD box, using "ssh -x
username@my.freebsd.com". Once your ssh session is started, simply run
an X client, like "xterm" to see if the connection works. If it does,
then any X client (Nautilus, Gnome, KDE, NetBeans, OpenOffice.org, etc)
will work.

You may have to change your sshd config on the FreeBSD side to all X11
Forwarding.

Emjoy!
-Matt