Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:06:57 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: psm(4) stopped working suddently

--LKTjZJSUETSlgu2t

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 03:18:38PM +0100, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my touchpad has been working like a charm until recently, then I
> noticed psm0 didn't exist any more.
> A verbose boot shows the following message in dmesg:
>
> % jarjarbinks:~:107# dmesg | grep ^psm
> % psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
> % psmcpnp0: <PS/2 moudr port> irq 12 on acpi0
> % psm0: current command byte:0047
> % psm0: strange result for test aux port (1).
> % psm0: failed to reset the aux device
>
> Therefore, I added PSM_CONFIG_NORESET (0x400) to hint.psm.0.cflags
> in loader.conf(5) and this made psm0 come back and the touchpad work.
>
> I tried older kernels back to 2006.03.01 but none made my touchpad
> work without this flag.

I tested with FreeSBIE 2.0 beta, based on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3 and I
didn't see the problem.  Given that I tried kernels back to March 1st,
I went to expect my kernel config file was the culprit.
Thus I've just tried a GENERIC kernel from the latest -CURRENT and
the problem went away:

% psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
% psmcpnp0: <PS/2 mouse port> irq 12 on acpi0
% psm0: current command byte:0047
% psm0: strange result for test aux port (1).
% psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
% psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
% psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0-00, 2 buttons
% psm0: config:00000000, flags:00000008, packet size:3
% psm0: syncmask:c0, syncbits:00

I tried to add/remove kbdmux and apic, but this resulted in nothing
better.
My configuration file is attached, I would be glad if someone pointed
out what makes my psm(4) fail.

Thank you.
Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen

--LKTjZJSUETSlgu2t

# Z6PO kernel config.

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           JARJARBINKS

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"         # Default places to look for devices

makeoptions     DEBUG="-g"              # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
makeoptions     MODULES_OVERRIDE="linux syscons fdc sound usb ums geom umass snp nullfs unionfs cd9660 cd9660_iconv wlan wlan_wep wlan_tkip wlan_ccmp wi iwi ral rl bge drm/drm drm/radeon firmware ext2fs"
makeoptions     CPUTYPE="pentium-m"
makeoptions     CFLAGS="-O -pipe"

#
# Debugging features
#
options         PREEMPTION              # Allow threads to be preempted
#options        FULL_PREEMPTION         # Expose race conditions
options         MUTEX_DEBUG             # Enable extra assert in mutex code
options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support
options         DDB                     # Support DDB
options         GDB                     # Support remote GDB
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal struct
options         INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options         DIAGNOSTIC              # Make everything more noisy
#options        WITNESS                 # Enable checks for deadlocks and cycles
#options        WITNESS_KDB

options         KSE
options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
#options        SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
#options                SCHED_CORE
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE

#
# Disk and filesystems
#
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
options         SUIDDIR
#options        EXT2FS                  # Linux filesystem
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big directories
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
#options        NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
#options        NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         MSDOSFS_LARGE
#options        NTFS                    # NT filesystem
#options        NULLFS                  # NULL filesystem
#options        UNIONFS                 # Union filesystem
#options        CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
#options        UDF                     # Univesal Disk Format
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         FDESCFS

options         LIBICONV
options         MSDOSFS_ICONV
#options        CD9660_ICONV
#options        UDF_ICONV
#options        NTFS_ICONV
#options        NETSMB
#options        NETSMBCRYPTO
#options        LIBMCHAIN
#options        SMBFS

#
# Misc
#
options         SSP_SUPPORT
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
#options        COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
#option         COMPAT_FREEBSD5
#option         COMPAT_FREEBSD6
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B realtime extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev

#
# Network
#
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
#options        INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         IPSEC                   # IP security
options         IPSEC_ESP               # IP security with ESP
options         IPSEC_FILTERGIF         # Filter IPSec packets from a tunnel
#options        BRIDGE                  # Bridging between ethernet cards

options         IPFIREWALL              # IP firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      # Enable logging to syslogd(8)
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT # Allow everything by default
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      # Make packet destination change
#options        IPV6FIREWALL            # IPv6 firewall
#options        IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE
#options        IPV6FIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
#options        IPFILTER                # IPFilter support
#options        IPFILTER_LOG            # IPFilter logging
device          pf                      # PF OpenBSD packet-filter firewall
device          pflog                   # Logging support interface for PF
device          pfsync                  # Synchronization interface for PF

options         IPDIVERT                # Divert sockets

options         DUMMYNET                # Enables "dummyney" bandwidth limiter
#options        ALTQ
#options        ALTQ_CBQ                # Class Bases Queueing
#options        ALTQ_RED                # Random Early Drop
#options        ALTQ_RIO                # RED In/Out
#options        ALTQ_HFSC               # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler
#options        ALTQ_CDNR               # Traffic conditioner
#options        ALTQ_PRIQ               # Priority Queueing

#options        NETGRAPH                #netgraph(4) system
#options        NETGRAPH_ASYNC
#options        NETGRAPH_ATMLLC
#options        NETGRAPH_ATM_ATMPIF
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH              # ng_bluetooth(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH_BT3C         # ng_bt3c(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH_H4           # ng_h4(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH_HCI          # ng_hci(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH_L2CAP        # ng_l2cap(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH_SOCKET       # ng_btsocket(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH_UBT          # ng_ubt(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BLUETOOTH_UBTBCMFW     # ubtbcmfw(4)
#options        NETGRAPH_BPF
#options        NETGRAPH_BRIDGE
#options        NETGRAPH_CISCO
#options        NETGRAPH_ECHO
#options        NETGRAPH_EIFACE
#options        NETGRAPH_ETHER
#options        NETGRAPH_FEC
#options        NETGRAPH_FRAME_RELAY
#options        NETGRAPH_GIF
#options        NETGRAPH_GIF_DEMUX
#options        NETGRAPH_HOLE
#options        NETGRAPH_IFACE
#options        NETGRAPH_IP_INPUT
#options        NETGRAPH_KSOCKET
#options        NETGRAPH_L2TP
#options        NETGRAPH_LMI
#options        NETGRAPH_ONE2MANY
#options        NETGRAPH_PPP
#options        NETGRAPH_PPPOE
#options        NETGRAPH_PPTPGRE
#options        NETGRAPH_RFC1490
#options        NETGRAPH_SOCKET
#options        NETGRAPH_SPLIT
#options        NETGRAPH_SPPP
#options        NETGRAPH_TEE
#options        NETGRAPH_TTY
#options        NETGRAPH_UI
#options        NETGRAPH_VJC

#
# Geom
#
#options        GEOM_AES
#options        GEOM_APPLE
#options        GEOM_BDE
#options        GEOM_BSD
#options        GEOM_CONCAT
#options        GEOM_FOX
#options        GEOM_GATE
#options        GEOM_GPT
#options        GEOM_LABEL
#options        GEOM_MBR
#options        GEOM_MIRROR
#options        GEOM_NOP
#options        GEOM_PC98
#options        GEOM_RAID3
#options        GEOM_SHSEC
#options        GEOM_STRIPE
#options        GEOM_SUNLABEL
#options        GEOM_UZIP
#options        GEOM_VOL

#
# Pseudo devices
#
device          random                  # Entropy device
device          mem                     # Memory and kernel memory devices
device          io
device          pty                     # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          snp                     # Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/...
#device         ccd                     # Concatenated disk driver
device          md                      # Memory "disks"
#device         firmware

#
# Network pseudo devices
#
device          loop                    # Network loopback
device          ether                   # Ethernet support
device          vlan                    # VLAN support (needs miibus)
#device         sl                      # Kernel SLIP
#device         ppp                     # Kernel PPP
#device         sppp                    # Generic Synchronous PPP
device          tun                     # Packet tunnel
device          gif                     # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#device         faith                   # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
#device         stf                     # 6to4 IPv6 over IPv4 encapsulation
device          tap                     # Virtual Ethernet driver
#device         gre                     # IP over IP tunneling
device          bpf                     # Berkeley packet filter
device          if_bridge

#options        PPP_BSDCOMP             # PPP BSD-compress support
#options        PPP_DEFLATE             # PPP zlib/deflate/gzip support
#options        PPP_FILTER              # Enable bpf filtering (needs bpf)

#
# Devices
#
device          apic            # I/O APIC
device          acpi
#options        ACPI_DEBUG
device          cpufreq

# Bus support.  Do not remove isa, even if you have no isa slots
device          isa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
#device         fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
#device         ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
device          atapicam        # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto via CAM
                                # needs CAM to be present (scbus & pass)
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
#device         ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
#device         sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
#device         cd              # CD
#device         pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
#device         ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
#options        PSM_DEBUG
device          kbdmux

options         VESA                    # Support for VGA VESA video modes.
device          vga             # VGA video card driver
device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support
device          sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device         vt
#options        XSERVER         # support for X server on a vt console
#options        FAT_CURSOR      # start with block cursor

device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Direct Rendering modules for 3D acceleration.
#device         drm             # DRM core module required by DRM drivers
#device         i915drm         # Intel i830 through i915

# Floating point support - do not disable
device          npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device         apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254
device          pmtimer

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
# PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
device          cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
#device         pcic            # ExCA ISA and PCI bridges
device          pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
device          cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus

# Serial (COM) ports
#device         sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
#device         ppc
#device         ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
#device         lpt             # Printer
#device         plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
#device         ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

# If you've got a "dumb" serial or parallel PCI card that is
# supported by the puc(4) glue driver, uncomment the following
# line to enable it (connects to the sio and/or ppc drivers):
#device         puc

# PCI Ethernet NICs
#device         de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
#device         em              # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card
#device         ixgb            # Intel PRO/10GbE Ethernet Card
#device         txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
#device         vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
#device         bfe             # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100 Ethernet
#device         bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
#device         dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
#device         fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
#device         pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 (precedence over 'lnc')
#device         re              # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
#device         rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
#device         sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
#device         sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
#device         sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x & SK-982x gigabit Ethernet
#device         ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
#device         ti              # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II gigabit Ether
#device         tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
#device         tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
#device         vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
#device         wb              # Winbond W89C840F
#device         xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.  pccard NICs included
#device         cs              # Crystal Semiconductor CS89x0 NIC
# 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
#device         ed              # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards
#device         ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+
#device         ep              # Etherlink III based cards
#device         fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
#device         ie              # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507, StarLAN 10 etc
#device         lnc             # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards
#device         sn              # SMC's 9000 series of Ethernet chips
#device         xe              # Xircom pccard Ethernet

# ISA devices that use the old ISA shims
#device         le

# Wireless NIC cards
#device         wlan            # 802.11 support
#device         wlan_wep
#device         wlan_ccmp
#device         wlan_tkip
#device         wlan_xauth
#device         wlan_acl
#device         an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs
#device         awi             # BayStack 660 and others
#device         wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs
#device         wl              # Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless NIC
#device         ath_hal
#device         ath_rate_onoe
#device         ath
#device         iwi

#
# USB support
#
#options        USB_DEBUG
#device         uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
#device         ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
#device         ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface
#device         usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
#device         ugen            # Generic
#device         uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
#device         ukbd            # Keyboard
#device         ulpt            # Printer
#device         umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
#device         ums             # Mouse
#device         urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
#device         uscanner        # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
#device         aue             # ADMtek USB Ethernet
#device         axe             # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
#device         cue             # CATC USB Ethernet
#device         kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
#device         rue             # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet

#
# Sound
#
#device         sound