Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:41:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Using rsh... [off-topic]

Hello everybody!

I'm sorry if this isn't very FreeBSD specific, but you guys are the
best...

I tried to play with rsh recently... All of this because I couldn't fetch
my mail normally trough fetchmail and similar programs.So I'm tryng to
create a shell script using fetch to get the mail and rsh to delete it on
the remote. I have achieved a normal login, and been able to pass the
command ( echo -n "" > /var/mail/$USER ) normally. But then I tried:

rsh -Kl beaupran derby.jsp.umontreal.ca echo -n "" ">" /var/mail/beaupran

and after a few seconds, I get: permission denied...

how is that possible? Anybody's goot any idea of how I should do this?
Trying to simply delete the file using ftp got me permission denied. but
the 'echo -n "" > /var/mail/beaupran ' thing worked. How come?

thanks!

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |