Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:29:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell Inspiron 5000e vs. Chembook 3015A vs. Compal N38W2 (N30W series)

This is rather long, and is a query about features, vs. a report of a
problem or solution to same.  So if this doesn't interest you (at this
time), you might want to just go on to whatever's next in your queue.

I've been using various laptops with (only) FreeBSD installed on them for
several months now; each is a machine that belongs to my employer, and
each has reinforced my perspective that x86 (at least) laptops make other
PCs seem comparatively reasonable by comparison (which is saying rather a
lot, given my background).

Despite these quirks, though, the machines have been useful once FreeBSD
was installed on them (which says a lot of positive things about FreeBSD,
as well as XFree86), so I think I'm finally almost ready to take the
plunge (so to speak).

I think I've narrowed my preference down quite a bit, though I'm a
little puzzled about one possible discrepancy, and I also have a source
of potential concern that others who may have used similar machines may
be able to confirm or deny (as the case may be), so I'm writing this
note to avail myself of others' experiences.  I expect to summarize,
even if the bulk of the responses are to the list.

I tend to use a lot of windows; out of habit, I still tend to use tvtwm
(which I used to run on my Sun 3/60, RIP) -- it provides the virtual
desktop that I find useful, and is not as resource-intensive as other
window managers I've tried that provide that capability.  (Of course,
the 3/60 was maxed out at 24 MB RAM, which is around what one normally
finds on a video card nowadays....  :-})  Thus, screen real estate is
one of my primary considerations (after running well under FreeBSD, of
course).  Each of the laptops I've used has a (maximum) screen
resolution of 1024x768, and I've become fairly well convinced that for
spending my own money, I want something with more pixels on it.

(Besides, I'm more accustomed to 1152x900, so some of the applications
that I would otherwise run directly on a Sun (I still have & use an
SS5/110), but plan on xhosting won't really fit well on 1024x768.  And
my eyesight is fine, so the finer detail is not a concern for me.)

So that leaves 1280x1024 (SXGA), 1400x1050 (SXGA+), or 1600x1200 (UXGA).

And I find that this alone narrows the field significantly.  :-}

So from my prowling around, it appears that the Dell Inspiron 5000e is
(essentially?) a re-badged Compal N38W2, as is the Chembook 3015A.

But while each of the brand-name laptops (Dell & Chembook) claim that
they have possible configurations that support 1600x1200, the
specifications page for the Compal N38W2
(http://www.compal.com/Product/S3/30W/N38W2/n38w2spec.htm) shows 1400x1050
as the maximum resolution the N38W2 supports.  Looking at a pop-up window
from a Javascript application on Dell's Web site (select "Video Card" on
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers/specials_3x_special29i.htm to bring
up the pop-up), it appears that the video card in the Inspiron 5000e is
an ATI Rage Mobility 128, 2X AGP, and that it can come with either 8 or
16 MB VRAM.  It also seems that either one will handle 1600x1200 on an
external monitor, but that 16 MB VRAM is required to support that
resolution on the laptop screen.  This seems weird to me, because I'd
have thought that the laptop screen resolution was fixed (modulo integer
multiples) by the positions of the LEDs themselves....

So 1600x1200 isn't a requirement, but it would be nice, and I'd like to
be clearer on just what the choices really are.  Is anyone actually
using 1600x1200 on a 5000e or a Chembook 3015A?  Or can anyone confirm
that the Compal unit (available, e.g., from
http://www.discountpcsales.com/specifications/mtech30w.htm) supports
1600x1200 on the laptop screen?

Finally, the other issue is the mouse buttons.  I confess I'm annoyed
about only 2 buttons being present -- I'm not really coordinated enough
to be able to handle "chording" (especially in conjunction with the
CONTROL key, for example).  But on the first laptop I used (an NEC Versa
6030X), I was able to map the left button to "button 2" and the right
button to "button 3", and use the "touchpad tap" (button 4) as "button
1" (after I hacked a logic-reversal into psm.c; ref. PR bin/23081 ),
that worked well for me -- except that I couldn't "triple click" (the
effective) button 1.  Single- & double-click worked OK, but triple
didn't.  Go figure....  :-{

On the second laptop (a Fujitsu Lifebook 675Tx), there were also 2
buttons and a touchpad, but tapping the touchpad was *not*
distinguishable from pressing (& releasing) the left mouse button, so I
was stuck with chording.  (And that's how I know I don't want to pay for
something that requires me to do that....)  One of the other quirks of
the Lifebook is that the touchpad is non-linear, and maintaining
pressure on the touchpad near the periphery of the pad continues to send
a signal that "the mouse is moving".  Thus, to accomplish the equivalent
of the "button 1 press/release", it's important to tap near the center
of the pad, or the mouse will tend to "jump" (compensating for the
"movement" it was just told about).  I find this to be a feature I'd
like to be able to turn off, despite its superficial appeal.

The other laptop I've been using at work has 3 mouse buttons, but uses a
trackpoint ("eraser-head") -- it's an IBM ThinkPad 600E.

So does anyone know if the "Synaptics Touchpad with 2 buttons" that is
part of the laptop in question exhibits (either of) the weird quirks
described above for the Fujitsu Lifebook?

Finally, are there any other "gotchas" that I (or anyone else who has
already perused the -mobile archives on the Inspirons & the like back to
last November or so) might want to know about?

I suspect I'll be tending toward solutions that don't require that I buy
anything from Microsoft, and I note with some pleasure that either
Chembook or M-Tech (http://www.discountpcsales.com/) appear to satisfy
that requirement.

Thanks,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.