Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:27:04 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video Capture for FreeBSD

first off they all are good cards.

Some prefer the WinCast/TV because it has better drivers under Win95 than
STB PC TV. The Intel Smart Video Recorder has got to win the award
for the most minimal driver support -- no "pci to pci transfer" no
yuv12, no rgb15 , no rgb16, etc... Sometimes I ask myself how Intel
managed to write a functionable driver well I sort of know the origin
politics 8)

The Intel Smart Video Recorder III has a minimal hardware
implementation it just has a single Bt848 chipset.

WinCastTV and STB PC TV both incorporate tv tunner circuitry and cost
less than the Intel Smart Video Recorder III.

Steve Passe I believe has a head start in terms of providing tuner
support for his STB PC TV --- see http://freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/Bt848.html

We should probably use his web page for on-going experimental work coordination
for the Bt848 driver and related efforts.You see I am a consultant and I
don't have a lot of time to devote to coordination efforts for instance
my current contract is in San Diego and I live in San Francisco. And is
starting to look like pretty soon I better check-in the driver so you guys
can go nuts with it 8)

Here is a listing of street prices:

Intel Smart Video Recoder III  around $179
WinCastTV                      around $149
STB PC TV                      around $149

I wish I had a WinCast/TV however I must confess that to start writing
a Bt848 driver from scratch the Intel card was not a bad deal since
the card all it has is a Bt848.

	Hope this helps,
	Amancio