Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:25:51 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RADIUS and similar non local passwd authentication systems

Hello all,

I run a small ISP with a modest userbase and a few permanent connections.
Currently I have 2 servers running FreeBSD, with one running
dialin/mail/www and the other more powerful handling news, proxy, and
assorted other things.

I will soon be taking on a virtual ISP, and although a lot of the ground
work has already been done with regards to accounting, masking the fact
that it's a virtual ISP etc, but I think it's time to move to something
like RADIUS for authentication so that I don't have a single machine
handling dialin/mail/www for both my ISP and the virtual ISP. Ideally I'd
want to move to one machine providing basically inbound pppd only (perhaps
sendmail for backup MX) and the machine with more grunt handling their
home dirs and email/www. It's probably likely I'll be building a 3rd
server early in the new year which again makes it more important to think
about moving to a system that doesn't rely on kludges like duplicating
/etc/passwd entries over several machines.

I'd be interested to hear of the options available for FreeBSD, I've had a
quick look at portslave pppd but it didn't seem to be able to do
everything I need. The requirements are reasonably simple, basically:

* central password database with slave login and pppds running on any
given machine on the LAN able to query this db

* must be able to assign dynamic IP addresses from different blocks based
on username - for example, a different virtual ISP, or a different quality
of service (different accounts routed through different capacity links
need different sets of IPs)

* must be able to assign static IPs for certain usernames

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                     Sensation Internet Services, Melbourne Aust
fidonet: 3:635/728                                          +61-3-9388-9260