Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 00:01:42 +0200
From:      Thomas Zenker <thz@tuebingen.netsurf.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared libs in root

On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 06:01:48AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> I want the thread dead, and I'm all for putting a minimum set
> of shared libraries and ld.so in /slib and linking the whole
> damn system dynamic, since /slib is just as recoverable as /kernel
> or /sbin/mount or any one of the other single points of failure
> that you need "fixit" disks for in the first place.

Ok, this is something that bites me for a long time.

I did exactly this to get a very very small system footprint.
Changed the essential dynamic libraries from /usr/lib to /lib
(ld.so, change crt0) and linked all the root stuff (not init, sh)
dynamically. This is to get a system inclusive swap on 40 MB
harddisk. Don't tell me disk space is cheap: it is not in some
cases. I have to support our radio networks at the client sites
all over the world. The gate/control machines there are (mostly)
old 386/33 machines with special hardware installed in '92. My boss
would kill me if I had to go there, so I have to live with these
machines. Our clients get just a four floppies set (self
installing/configuring boot disk + compressed system on 3 floppies).

Actually BSD/OS is doing this, they have shared libs in the root partition.