Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:17:00 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, kib@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for testing: ata(4) MFC

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 04:58:55AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 10:12:11PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > >
> > > There is only one fix for Intel Matrix RAID:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/121899
> >
> > Ahh, yeah, I've seen that one as well.  I'll apply the patch and let you
> > know if the behaviour documented in the PR happens.
>
> I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to testing this -- my day (night) job
> has kept me incredibly busy, and I've had hardly any time at home to
> work on personal projects.  It sucks.
>
> I'll try to make time for testing either today or tomorrow.

I finally got around to testing this patch tonight on my P4SCE box.
Said box does not use AHCI.

Based on skimming the code, the patch needs to be tested on the
following:

- Systems with AHCI
- Systems using SATA port multipliers
- Systems using Silicon Image chips
- Systems using VIA chipsets with SATA devices attached
- Systems with Promise controllers that have ATAPI devices attached
- Systems using Adaptec 1420SA controllers
- Systems using ITE ATA/IDE controllers, specifically ITE 8213F
- Systems that use suspend/resume

Right now I have access to an AHCI-based system, but I do not feel
comfortable testing yanking of disks or pulling of SATA cables to
simulate a drive/controller failure -- because the disks attached
to said box contain sensitive/important data.  That said, this
needs to be thoroughly tested:

- Disk and/or controller failures when AHCI is in use (specifically
  due to major changes in ata_ahci_reset() and ata_ahci_softreset())

Other items:

- Could someone provide an explanation of the 48-bit LBA addressing
  changes (see lines 988-1003 in the patch)?  I'd like to know what they
  do, and if further QA/testing is needed with this.

- Can we please see about adding the FreeNAS project's ata timeout
  sysctls?  I see lots of delays/sleeps in numerous pieces of code that
  pertain to soft or hard resets of AHCI controllers, and I often worry
  about the implications of hard-coded timeouts.

  http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freenas/trunk/build/kernel-patches/ata/files/patch-ata.diff?view=markup

Thanks everyone!