Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 23:21:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        mlduke@concentric.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Second Station" Revised

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 09:05:31PM -0900, mlduke@concentric.net wrote:
> > I've got one FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE full tower box and I want to attach
> > a second monitor to it to run in my Daughter's room. A plug in like the
> > one my current monitor is plugged into does not exist on the back of
> > the box, and I don't know what to ask for in order to acquire the
> > necessary hardware.
>
> Well, it *is* possible to connect a second monitor to a FreeBSD
<snip>

> The alternative, which could even be cheaper, is to connect a serial
> terminal to one of the serial ports.  You should be able to pick up a
> serial terminal second hand quite cheaply.  None of this is very
> exciting.  That doesn't give you an X display, of course, unless you
> use an X terminal, which would require an Ethernet connection, but
> you'll probably find it easier to install a second machine, maybe a
> smaller one (old 386) which would just need to run the display and
> connect to the first machine for the processing.  Again, of course,
> you'd need an Ethernet connection, though you could possibly use PPP
> instead.

This is exactly the solution I used for my wife's mother. I han an old
386SX (25mhz) oooh! I bought a recycled 200Mb IDE, cheap NE2000 clone
and coax from my dealer, the O'Reilly book on NFS and NIS from the
bookstore, grabbed a screwdriver and went to work.

Two hours later, I had an X station running in her room. Read a little
and got NFS running.

Things to watch out for:

(This isn't elegant but it works and is cheap) Netscape complains
about colormaps due to differing X servers and I have not chased that
out since Ruth uses Lynx to browse - dosen't care about spiffy stuff.

Be aware that if you mount /usr on the NFS client it will "replace"
the client's /usr so you might want to put home directories elsewhere
as I did.

The NE2000 card needed to have DOS running to configure itself, so make
sure you finish that install before wiping out the dos files.

Other than that it is a simple ftp install over a network. Read, the
manuals and FAQs. If you have any other questions, just post me.

John

Local (Nampa, Idaho) and Anchorage custom computer folks don't have a