Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:55:40 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Alex <al.feldman@sangoma.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ping question?

In the last episode (Dec 23), Alex said:
> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Alex"
> <al.feldman@sangoma.com> Be sure to reply to that address.
>
> Hello,
> I'm running `ping -f 202.1.1.2` from my machine
> from 2 opened xterm. And I received next error:
>     ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
> What can be cause to this error?

"Operation not permitted" usually means that an ipfw rule is denying
the outgoing packet (the other poster was incorrect; if a non-root
person tries a ping -f, they get "ping: -f flag: Operation not
permitted").  Check your outgoing ipfw rules and see if any of them
could be filtering that packet.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com