Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 23:48:24 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Incrementally building ports INDEX

On Fri, 20 May 2005 10:42:50 +0100
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:38:32AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:22:08PM +0200, Angelo Turetta wrote:
> > > What the state-of-the-art tool used to build the INDEX/INDEX-5 file?
> > >
> > > Kris, how is it built on the package cluster?
> >
> > Essentially just 'make index'.
> >
> > Someone has an incremental index build tool in ports(see other reply),
> > but I haven't seen commits to this in quite a while so I don't know
> > whether it's not actively maintained or if it just works.  There are
> > many subtleties with incremental index building, and I haven't
> > evaluated this tool to see whether it handles them all or if it's just
> > "close enough for most people".
>

> I've been pretty busy what with the new job and all, plus spending a
> few months living in a place where I can't get broadband at home, but
> p5-FreeBSD-Portindex is most definitely still being maintained.  It's
> just that I haven't seen any bug reports recently -- pretty much "it
> just works".  I believe I addressed all of the points you raised the
> last time you looked at it: if you have any further comments I'll be
> glad to hear them.

I'm running it on my machines on a daily bases and with the last version
each time I've checked against a canonical built INDEX-5 I have found
no diffs. In the past when I've had problems Matthew has been very
helpful and prompt.

Kris, do you think you could run it on the cluster where the "official"
INDEX is generated for a few times and diff the resulting index with the
canonical one and send the diff (if any) to Matthew ? It won't place any
burden on the machine (on my home desktop, it runs 6 times / day after
each cvsup and it takes under one minute to generate the updated index).
Once we know it works you could disable it and re-enable it only when
testing bsd.*.mk changes in case one of them affects it (and then Mathew
would have enough time to fix the problem before the changes go in the
tree).

This tool is very nice to use, especially on less-powerful machines and
IMO deserves mentioning in the docs like the porttools.

Thanks,

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"