Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:26:14 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME: Does anyone use it?

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 01:30:20PM -0700, patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:

> [snip]
>
> I do this one port at a time instead of
> letting make handle the dependancies.  (This is a big enough PITA
> that I don't upgrade that often.  My last update was 9 July.  I'll
> be trying the current versions in a few days when I upgrade the OS
> to 3.3.)

I'd suggest that you hold off doing an update for a short while.

The GNOME folks are almost ready to release a 1.0.50 version (initially
scheduled for end of September), and a number of us are working on the
necessary port updates (by my reckoning there are no less than 23 ports
that have to be updated).

This particular GNOME update is going to be even more messy (if that
were possible :) than the last few, since glib/gtk+ have to be updated
to 1.2.5 for gnome-core (and ports that depend on it) to work.

Which means an awful lot of package deleting and recompiling/adding.

Regarding stability, I've found FreeBSD GNOME to be about the same
as running under Linux (RedHat 5.2) -- during the bigger updates, I
tend to run two systems side by side (admittedly as virtual hosts
under VMWare/NT).

Of course, as with everything, if people don't know about the problems,
then it becomes that much more difficult to fix them, either with
GNOME itself, or the FreeBSD ports thereof.

Things are compounded for non-Linux people by GNOME's horribly
(in some places) Linux-centric nature (take a peek at the size of
some of the patches in /usr/ports to see what I mean).

We try extremely hard not to introduce any further problems in the
porting process, but GNOME is absolutely huge, and RealJobs[tm] tend
to get in the way.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.