Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:40:09 -0600
From:      Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi

>Hi All:
>
>Why is vi the default choice of editor for UNIX and how did it become
>the default?  I find it cumbersome.
>
>I'm just curious of it's advantages over joe or pico or any of the
>others.

I will confine my comments to Programming editors not word processing.

I'm not sure of joe but pico has annoying limitations.

Vi has been on every unix, unix clone, dos, and VMS system I have used
for 20 years.  The same is not true for most of the editors found today.
Having one editor you can use everywhere has a certain attraction.

IMHO when vi was written it was better than the competition, so I
learned vi.  Over the years I have tried enough 'new' editors that I
have forgotten their names.  None would do everything I wanted it
to do so I stuck with vi. I no longer derive pleasure by learning a
new editor, so I stick to vi.  Almost every editor I have tried does
some things better/easier than vi but none do everything that
vi does; at the same time being universally available.

To labor the point a bit more, a few of my colleagues are new to
the world of unix and of course they hate vi.  Well they are now
in the editor of the week club trying to find something that will
do everything that they need to do.  They are not having much luck
yet but they are trying.

True a few wrong characters, or the right characters typed at the
wrong time, will do amazing things to a file, but you can do what you
want to do, and you can do it on virtually any OS you use.

hal

PS anyone know of a vi clone that runs on Windows 2000?