Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:29:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Curt Welch <curt@kcwc.com>
Cc:        Robert Lindgren <robert@teledigit.se>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which Ultra-Wide SCSI is the best?

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Curt Welch wrote:

> >  Which ultra-wide-scsi harddisk works best with FreeBSD.
> >  I have a dual Pentium-Pro 200 with Scsi-3 and would like
> >  to have the a list of suggestions of the best disk with
> >  sizes between 4 and 10 Gigabyte.
>
> I have 8 Quantum Viking 4G drives on both DPT and Adaptec controllers
> and haven't had any problems.  Though I've seen lots of people talk
> about the problems they've had with Quantum drives in the past -- so
> much so that multiple people have said they would never buy Quantum
> drives again.   The problems seem to have been with the Atlas drives,
> but I have some of these as well and haven't had any problems.  The
> Atlas are fast/wide not ultra-wide.  The Viking drives are smaller (LP)
> and they are quiet and cool compared to the Atlas drives.  The Atlas
> drives get real hot so they need better air flow to keep them cool.

  There are three different Atlas drives:  Atlas I, Atlas II, and Atlas
III.  I know that the Atlas III (all that is available these days, as
Atlas I & II have been discontinued) are available in wide variety of
media types, including ultra-wide.

  The worse Quantum drive is probably the Grand Prix, which is no longer
made.

> I've also heard people say the Fireball's had real problems
> - but those are the slower ATA drives designed more for PC
> desktop use.

  The Fireball is available in IDE and SCSI.  It is cheap drive, and you
get what you pay for.

> Segate drives seem to be the most popular in general but I haven't
> had any experience with them recently.  They too are known for running
> hot.  Make sure they are well ventilated.

  Look at the power consumption of the particular line you are looking at.
My favourite is the Seagate Barracuda 4XL.  Heat disapation is lower than
many old 5400rpm drives I have.

> I've not seen a Segate 4G drive for under $800 but I was able
> to get the Viking drives for something like $645 at www.isn.com.
>
> Curt

Tom