Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:31:16 CEST
From:      "Ulf ." <ulfeke@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to configure the kernel?

Hi

I have successfully managed to install FreeBSD (4.1-RELEASE) for the first
time. The Handbook suggests me to recompile the kernel if I wish to add or
subtract support for different devices. I would like to do both, but how?
Sure, I know how to copy GENERIC and modify it, but _how_ can I find out
what lines are needed and what to add to have support for my hardware?

To strip the kernel I tried to read the boot-log and only keep devices that
had been mentioned there. That didn't work:) Any good hints?

The networks card I wish to add (3c574tx) is listed as "supported" yet not
available in the generic kernel. What should be the way (not only in this
case but more general) to find out what /dev/xx it is using, and how to set
it up?

My struggles to add support for this networks card included a few
recompilings of the kernel. I found /etc/defaults/pccards which says it is
an 'ep' device. But that one is already in the generic kernel, and 'MAKEDEV'
only gives me an error. The solution though ended up as a simple
'pccard_enable="YES"'-line in /etc/rc.conf. Should I have known?

Now it works nicely with kernel.GENERIC but one thing.. It takes time for
the card to be identified. Often the log-in prompt is up before the card is
recogniced. This gives me that I have to issue the "ifconfig" and "route"
commands manually to set things up. What can I do to make sure all happens
in the right order (or at the right speed)?

Thanks
/Ulf