Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:33:54 -0500
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        amine tay <amine.tay91@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.X network installation using PXE+TFTP (not NFS) !

On 3/7/2014 5:36 AM, amine tay wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm trying to perform a FreeBSD 9.X network installation using PXE+TFTP
> (not NFS) !
> The problem using NFS is the need to specify the root-path in the dhcp
> conf, therefore we can't deploy multiple releases or different images of
> freebsd.
>
> So to enable the tftp instead of NFS we have to edit make.conf with these
> lines
> LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=YES
> LOADER_NFS_SUPPORT=NO
> and rebuild the pxeboot file
>
> 1st question is : Is this modification going to allow the install of
> differents freebsd images?
>
> Note that I'm using an automated os deployement solution , and I am using
> mac-adresses to deploy freebsd depending on policies, so for exemple two
> clients with different mac-adresses will have two diffrents freebsd images.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help !

Can't one already control this similarly to what you describe by using
NFS and the DHCP server (dhcpd.conf for example)? Is there a constraint
that you have limited control of the DHCP server? Based on my
understanding of your question, I have done what you are trying to do
using vanilla pxeboot and ports/net/isc-dhcp42-server.