Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:15:27 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        stefan@promo.de, hm@kts.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: TCP checksum errors resulting from IP addr change

Sorry for a stupid question, but may it be related somehow to the
header compression mode ? I'm not sure about the PPP compression but
for SLIP these symptoms would clearly indicate that one side is
working with compression while another one is working without
compression. The SLIP compression works on a per-connection
basis, so datagram packets and the TCP SYN packets are always not
compressed - so ping works and you can establish the connection,
but following TCP packets have their headers compressed by
removing the redundant information that can be restored from previous
TCP packets, so they would appear broken if the other side works
in other mode. It may be that PPP is using something like this
(and it also has 2 different compression modes).

-Sergey