Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:45:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation, gethostid()

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > Do we want an ioctl to get the hardware address?  If not, any
> > suggestions on a _tidy_ way to get it?
>
> Check the list archives.  The Mathematica "correct method" included
> patches to implement the interface without the kernel grubbing.  I
> am suprised that the patches were not integrated.

You mean this one?  I'm not surprised :

] Insert into linux_ioctl, in linux_ioctl.c, inside the first switch.
]
]   case 0x8927:
]         hwaddr[0]=0x00;
]         hwaddr[1]=0x00;
]         hwaddr[2]=0xc0;
]         hwaddr[3]=0x27;
]         hwaddr[4]=0xe5;
]         hwaddr[5]=0x66;
]         return copyout((caddr_t)hwaddr, (caddr_t)args->arg,6);
]

No other messages on the subject appear to contain any code at all, but
I'll pester Andrew Gallatin and see if he finished the issue.

--
]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[