Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:58:59 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Subject:   Re: dhclient ignoring link on wi0

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:03:17 -0500
David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca> wrote:

> [various problems with wi, deleted]
>
> Alexander> The problem is, that the wi driver isn't ported to the
> Alexander> current WLAN infrastructure. There's no documentation
> Alexander> available for the WLAN infrastructure, so you have to read
> Alexander> the source (the ath driver is the de-facto reference driver
> Alexander> for the WLAN stuff), search the net and if nothing helps,
> Alexander> ask sam@FreeBSD.org some well thought questions.
>
> I also thought that someone might have comments about a wi0 as an
> access point.  This used to work, but all clients (even windoze) seem
> to loose association every 20 to 40 minutes (although the timing is
> random it seems).

I'm sure this is just another problem related to the outdated WLAN part
of wi.

> Alexander> If you have the time and energy to have a look at porting
> Alexander> the wi driver to (at least parts of) the current WLAN
> Alexander> framework, all wi users would appreciate some patches...
>
> Not that I'm afraid of development, but I'm unfamilliar with the
> difference between the revisions of acceptable wifi behaviour.

There are maybe 2 or 3 people in the FreeBSD world which are (at least
partly) familiar with it. And all of them aren't interested or don't
have time to take care of wi (or think the wi technology is outdated
and should RIP).

So it comes down to "someone with interest in wi has to make himself
familiar with the WLAN infrastructure". I'm sure Sam will answer
questions if the person attacking the problem stumbles upon some
questions regarding the WLAN infrastructure part.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.