Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 17:04:02 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brad Midgley <junkmail@pht.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5-950622-SNAP on a big machine

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.950728072214.6046A-100000@exodus.pht.com>, Brad Midgl
ey writes:
>(sorry if you see this twice, but I think it was rejected since I wasn't
>yet on the list.)

Err. We don't reject incoming mail by checking for the sender being on
the subscription list - Majordomo doesn't work that way.

>machine: pci p60 w/96mb ram, 5 4gig drives (quantum, seagate) and 2 2gig
>drives (all scsi), buslogic scsi, 3com ethernet. kernel configs:  users=128,
>options "NMBCLUSTERS=2048", disabled a lot of things, including
>bounce-buffers, ide, cdrom, iso9660.

Which buslogic card? It may also be more informative to send the
kernel probe output (you can get it using `dmesg' or from
/var/log/messages)

> after only about 12 hours of uptime, the system virtually locked up with
>messages about bt0: buffer full (the system was still pingable, great).
>None of the errors were logged (I should have expected that) so I don't
>have them verbatim.  After another 12 hours it spontaneously rebooted.
>(nothing in the log but I wasn't even watching the machine)

This isn't my area, but my machine at `work' has a Buslogic 946 in it,
and it has never seen this error, despite being hammered pretty hard
sometimes.

> The machine refuses to NFS mount linux-exported drives, claiming the
>directory is a stale nfs handle.  I believe we upgraded the linux nfs
>server about 3 months ago to whatever was current.

Huh? You mean the mount fails, or subsequent accesses fail? I would be
surprised if you got a stale nfs handle warning/error on mount...

> it appears that freebsd only sees 64 of the 96 mb ram on the machine.  the
>bios self-tests on boot see it all.  How do I monitor ram/swap usage on a
>running system?

To get the kernel to see memory past 64Mb, put `options MAXMEM 98304'
in your kernel config file and recompile the kernel (the number is the
number of kbytes in your machine).

pstat -s will report swap space usage, and vmstat can report on the vm
system. I would recommend `top' from the ports collection, but I'm not
sure how accurate it's reporting is for memory use.

> the machine had an smc card which wasn't recognized by the new system.
>to be more accurate, I prepped the boot drive on a machine with a 3com
>and then changed /etc/sysconfig's

What sort of SMC card?

> network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
> network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"

That will just affect what the system tries to ifconfig up once it has
booted, not what devices the kernel will look for on boot. If the
kernel hasn't found the card, this change will just produce an error.

>that didn't work in the server itself with the smc, so I swapped the cards
>themselves around and switched it back.  3com support looks much better btw.

You may have to boot with `-c' and manually enter the cards
configuration for it to be found.

>Is it worthwhile to upgrade to the latest snap, get stock 2.0.5, replace
>some of my hardware, etc.?

A new kernel may be in order, as some things have been fixed since
950622-SNAP, but I'd prefer trying to find out why you are having
problems with your current setup before we go altering things.

Gary