Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 22:52:19 +0000
From:      "bahwi" <bahwi@cityscope.net>
To:        "Matt Nelson" <webmaster@cityworkz.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help, I Hate MICROSOFT !!!

> Hi, I currently Run Windows 95. and I need to get something else cause I am
> truly sick and tired of crashes and errors. Is FreeBSD right for My system
> ----------
> MS-DOS Version . . . . . . . .   7.10

If you want to run MS-Dos programs or windows programs you'll need an
emulator.

> Mouse is a Touch Pad.

Not sure if a touch pad will work, anyone have any suggestions?

> I was thinking about getting the FreeBSD Book/4CD set from CDROM.COM.. I
> have also connsidered Red Hat Linux... Have any suggestions for Me ?
> Can I still go online with FreeBSD, and can I use Netscape ?

You can go online with FreeBSD and most likely with Linux. You can
use Netscape for FreeBSD with XFree86 installed. Probably the book
would be best, it was never created as a user-friendly
interface, but it doesn't bite. Remember the man pages(man <command>
for help on that <command>) Fortunately,(And Unfortunately, for the
purposes of testing a site in all browsers) there is no IE for any
form of unix(There better not be, if there is someone tell me)

Basically, FreeBSD is made off the shelf as a server, you can disable
the httpd and all the other servers if it is going to be used as just
a computer. I never did and it still works better than Win95.
Remember, all software is made for Win95 these days, well, most of
it. If I were you I'd use both, it can be a great place to work, but
there aren't many games on it, although there are some good ones.
(Anyone else want to play FreeCiv? :P)
Any more questions? Post them to the list and/or to me. The list is
MUCH better than I am though.
-bahwi
email- bahwi@technologist.com
ICQ Name: bahwi                 UIN: 3328936
iChat Name: bahwi
-EOF