Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:22:26 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp errors

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 11:35:56AM -0700, keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:
> Forgot to mention that arp is spewing out messages like this.
>
> Jul  3 11:35:00 bsd /kernel: arplookup 63.169.98.64 failed: host is not on
> local network
>
> That network isn't related to the machine in question at all. I assume
> it's because I've got routed running.

To me, that says that your machine is hearing ARP calls on its wire
for machines on 63.169.98.64. routed(8) would have nothing to do with
that.

> On Mon, 3 Jul 2000 keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:
>
> > I have a machine setup and on the net. It has 20 aliases on the NIC and
> > all seems to be just fine with one exception. It would not come up on the
> > net without having routed running. I've never had a problem in the past
> > with just configuring rc.conf and putting a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> > for the aliases so this is a source of major confussion for me.
> > The aliases aren't really at issue because it would not even come up live
> > without the aliases there.
> > Here is how things are setup now.
> >
> > FreeBSD 4.0-Stable
> >
> > /etc/rc.conf
> > ifconfig_xl0="inet 63.169.99.87 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> > defaultrouter="63.169.99.1"
> > network_interfaces="xl0 lo0"
> > hostname="bsd.mcfarlandis.com"
> >
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ifconfig-up.sh
> > /sbin/ifconfig xl0 inet 63.169.99.15 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias
> >
> > With a bunch of the same lines in the script for each alias.
> > At the end of the script I tossed in routed.
> > /sbin/routed

The need for routed(8) usually means that you have misconfigured (or
incompletely configured) your routing somewhere and routed(8) is
correcting the error. However, doing some traceroute(8)s to your net (I
hope you don't mind) shows that your configuration seems pretty simple
and should be working. Still, you might want to look at 'netstat -rn'
output with and without routed to see what it might be doing in
there.