Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:28:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  ports/x11/tix/patches etc.

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Sorry, I'm playing catch-up.  You guys have transferred a lot of traffic
> since last night.  Tk and it's cousins have no need for the large majority
> of the .h files, in or out of generic, so adding them is pure useless
> bloat.  The location that the tk port uses to put it's files,
> /usr/local/include, is the one that is expected for most of the tcltk
> software, and that stuff finds it fine.

Tix wants access to tkInt.h and tkPort.h (and tclInt.h). We want at
least these. For symmetry with Tcl in the base system we simply
install all the headers, that's 100k "bloat" at most. I also wouldn't
want to touch Tk again if some other extension (like itcl) wants yet
another tk<something>.h.

As a nice side effect we no longer need to unpack the Tk source to
build Tix.

I already have a version of tix which expects the Tk headers in
/usr/local/include/tk and the tkConfig.sh in /usr/local/lib.

tg