Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:28:13 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Brad the Impaler <wshatner@evilpeople.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel compilation problems

Brad the Impaler wrote:

[snip]

> #options        BOUNCE_BUFFERS          # Caused error (why?).

I would uncomment the above - it's a performance issue.

> options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device

This one must be enclosed in quotes coz of the numeric
argument - see ALL the other references where numbers are
included.

> options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
> device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM
> device          wfd0            #IDE Floppy (e.g. LS-120)
>
> options ATAPI
> device wcd0

Don't know why you'd want to have two OPTIONS ATAPI, one will
do.

> #pseudo-device  Bppp    1       # Causes error.

It should be bpfilter, not Bppp - see LINT

> #pseudo-device  log             # caused error.

This should be there too as syslogd uses it.

> #*********** SOUND #################
> controller      snd0
> #device sb0     at isa? port 0x388 irq 10 drq 6
> device awe32    at isa? port 0x62

The awe0 device requires the sb0, sbxvi0, and others - see
LINT

As a general rule-of-thumb, when I make changes to a kernel
config and it stops compiling, restart with the previous
config file that **WAS KNOWN TO WORK** then add entries and
recompile each time if you have problems.  This method ensures
that several errors don't get in at once as in your case.

And it means that whatever is stopping it from working is
related to just the last change you made to the config file.

--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I
installed FreeBSD."