Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:54:27 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        InterACT Info <je@interact.se>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   maximum UDP output (was Re: Multi networkcards)

Talking about saturating interfaces, I've got here a little program
spitting UDP packets as fast at it can, in a burst.

The program is just a loop :

while (1)
	usleep(delay) // to adjust the rate
	for i = 1 to n
		send(socket, packet)

I've set up the socket as "connected" to speed up the kernel processing
(it is even bound to a local address).

I am still wondering why I can't use a burst of 6 packets or more unless
the emitted rate drops to one fifth of the one attained with a 5-packet
burst.

I've had a look at the usual suspects (ip_output, udp_output, ...), but
I've not seen the light (I've increased UDP send space, but everything
remains the same).

Anyway, I've got a box processing around 10K packets per second with a
40% load (PIII-450)

	TfH