Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Masachika ISHIZUKA <ishizuka@ish.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/26832: ssh cannot login without password when using ~/.shosts

The following reply was made to PR bin/26832; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Masachika ISHIZUKA <ishizuka@ish.org>
To: roam@orbitel.bg
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: bin/26832: ssh cannot login without password when using
 ~/.shosts
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:09:19 +0900

 >>   It can be fixed to add "ENABLE_SETUID_SSH=true" in /etc/make.conf
 >> and "cd /usr/src/secure/lib/libssh && make && cd ../../usr.bin/ssh
 >> && make && make install", but do all users to use .shosts install
 >> ssh source code, and why is the suid bit of ssh removed from 4.2R to
 >> 4.3R ?  Any security reasons ?
 >
 > Yes, for existing installations, the SSH client binary has to be chmod'd
 > by hand.  And yes, there were security reasons for removing the setuid
 > bit on the SSH client - there was at least one known vulnerability, which
 > could be used for subverting the SSH client, and there is no guarantee
 > that more such vulnerabilities won't creep up in the future.  Since it is
 > quite rare that people are using rhosts/shosts based authentication,
 > the majority of FreeBSD installations do not need a setuid SSH client.
 > For those that do, there is the 'chmod by hand' workaround for an existing
 > installation, and the /etc/make.conf knob for rebuilding.
 >
 > I apologize for my somewhat summary and not quite thought-out reply;
 > the case of new installations which are not rebuilt totally slipped my mind.
 >
 > As a side point, rhosts/shosts-based authentication could be replaced
 > with something else which does not require a setuid client - e.g. with
 > public-key authentication (it is quite trivial to generate a public key
 > with an empty password).  This could have other issues - the keys should
 > be placed on all machines, the secret portion of the key should be placed
 > on all machines from which you need to log in (this could mean placing
 > secret keys on NFS-exported homedirs.. ugh).. but in some cases, public-key
 > based authentication is a better solution.

   Dear, Peter-san

   Thank you very much for mail.
   I understood and agree with you that the public-key based
 authentication is better.  We managed more than 200 machines
 and it is too hard to replace authentication method soon.
   We will try to introduce public-key based authentication.
 --
 ishizuka@ish.org