Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 1996 12:23:44 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/include pmap.h

Hi,

>   Modified:    i386/include  pmap.h
>   (I think I see what the problem might have been.. lots of code #includes
>    pmap.h, but this was now conditional on #define SMP, and I'll bet that
>    some code had not included "opt_smp.h" first.  This would have caused
>    two different values for NKPDE etc to be in use in the kernel)

That would explain alot!!!

I think as a first step in the merging of SMP with -current we might
add the line: #include "opt_smp" to every file that now contains SMP code,
At that point everyone would have a good idea of where we will be
affecting the -current tree.

We probably should also document all SMP specific options in conf/LINT.

The next step would be to break up files that have grown to have alot
of SMP stuff mixed with standard stuff, eg. init_main.c -> init_main.c &
init_smp.c.  Stated another way, I think we should strive to keep SMP changes
localized to SMP specific files to the extent that it is practical.

We also need to think thru the locations of some things b4 the merge:

 does "options SMP" belong in sys/i386/conf/options.i386 or sys/conf/options?
 "options APIC_IO" probably does, can options from options be mixed with
 options in options.i386, ie can SMP be in one, APIC_IO in the other, and
 have them both end up in "opt_smp"?

We need to start collecting docs, should that be in: src/share/doc,
which would be outside of sys, or should we creat sys/SMP/doc, or ???

We also need an SMP specific 'utility' directory for things like mptable.c,
sys/SMP/util perhaps?
--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD