Date:      19 Dec 2001 18:10:29 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> writes:

> http://slashdot.org/articles/01/05/23/1723215.shtml
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/18/214202&mode=flat
> http://www.vidomi.com/article.php?sid=1
>
> Note that Vidomi, the company in question, was forced, by
> the FSF's arm twisting, to release substantial portions of
> its own work even though its program simply LINKED to DLLs
> built with GPLed code

Thanks for posting those.  I've been ignoring much of /. recently
and missed that.

Especially interesting is the Eben Moglen letter linked (via JavaScript,
grrrr) off the middle of the last page listed above.

Given some of the strange ideas I've seen from Moglen, I don't give his
legal opinions complete credence, but given his position with the FSF,
it is gives us a pretty good idea of what his and RMS's opinions would
probably be on a couple of the issues we've discussed.  Note that he
spoke for himself, not the FSF.

I found two things particularly interesting: The company (after the
arm-twisting) planned to distrubute a package that consisted of GPL'd
code and non-GPL'd code and some of the latter installed the rest.
Moglen found that no "technical interpenetration" justifies regarding
them as a single, combined work and that such packages are "mere
aggregations" permitted by the GPL.  Comments:  First, that's one
opinion and some licensors may have others.  Second, I'd like to know
if there is common legal understanding of what a "work" is in law that
makes combining code as a single package that is distributed is not
a single work, because doing so with stories or articles does make a
single work.  Or is it just another of Moglen's fantastical opinions?
Third, it's sad, but probably true, that Moglen's (and RMS's) opinions
will carry much weight and influence the opinions of others like
licensors and lawyers and maybe even some courts, mostly because of
his long history with the FSF, not matter how badly he interprets the
GPL (which he might have had a hand in writing, FAIK) compared to the
poor souls who have had to read and accept the thing who can't read
his mind or even feel the need to.

The other interesting thing is his equating the GPL+non_GPL package
distribution method with that of a Linux OS CD-ROM.  My question is
why we can't equate both to a staticly linked program?  How does a
dumb linker create a copyrightable work?  (Given, that the non-GPL
part is not a derivative of the GPL part.  The obvious answer: Because
someone interprets the GPL to say that it does.  Maybe not.  But if so,
then why isn't the GPL+non_GPL package or the Linux CD also a work.
Who gets to say what is "mere aggregation"?  Is suspect it will be
whoever has the most legal clout.

Getting back to the dynamic-linking issue that started the case, this
is not clearly discussed in any of the stuff at /. or Vidomi.
Anyone know of a Moglen or RMS justification for that outrageous
claim (or any well written one)?