Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 05:53:55 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Arlen McIntyre <fallofzero@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: note

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:36:00 -0600, Arlen McIntyre wrote:
> How can I get FreeBSD on
> my other partition and have a dual OS system without the boot installation?

Qustion part one:

Prepare a USB stick with the FreeBSD "memstick edition".
You'll find instructions on how to do that on the FreeBSD
website, as well as the installation media.

Preparation: Make sure you have _free_ disk space. This
means: Do not create any DOS partitions, just leave it
"empty" and let the installer perform the required tasks
of partitioning and formatting.

Question part two:

Install the FreeBSD boot manager (which is one of the first
steps during the installation process). You can then select
at system startup which OS to boot into.

>    I cannot afford to buy FreeBSD.

I'm sorry to hear that, but it won't be a problem. You won't go
to jail, don't be frightened. Just install it. It's free. :-)

No really: FreeBSD _is_ free to download and to use. You don't
need to buy it (even though you _may_ do so; refer to the FreeBSD
website for details).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany