Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:20:19 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4RC4: out of space on / during install

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:10:24PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Re: 4.4RC4: out of space on / during install
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:14:15 +0200
>
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 12:53:11PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > I see. My guess was not too bad then as far as the docs went.
> >
> > Hmm. How about me putting an entry in the 4.4 relnotes? There are no
> > ill effects that I can see.
>
> No objections here!

Consider it done then.

> > Maybe a seperate mfs /tmp might help?
>
> Hmmm.  That's not the worst idea I've heard today.  Do we still have
> any dreams of installing on <16MB machines, or have those firmly died
> by now? :) I suppose we could also special-case this for the Alpha,
> though I'd be kind of loathe to do so.

You don't want to ever use a 16MB alpha. I once tried, 4x4MB SIMM in a
NoName. It is like tar crawling uphill. Going to 32MB immediately
halved buildtimes of a kernel. Good VM test though. It kept running
[crawling].

For all intents and purposes 32 MB is the bare minimum for Alpha, with
64 MB for a useful machine. No fancy KDE of course on 64..

So: for Alpha I don't think 16MB is worth considering anymore.

W/