Date:      Sun, 12 Jun 2011 01:51:00 +0200
From:      "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        mdf@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] shipping kernels with default modules?

>> Although I imagine that many drivers silently benefit from being
>> loaded serially, to the best of my knowledge there is nothing
>> architecturally requiring this apart from the fact that the scheduler
>> isn't started until everything else tied to initialization happens.
>> The absence of any sort of preemption was a bit of a thorn in my side
>> back when I was working on "xenbus", as the linux implementation
>> relies on the use of multiple thread contexts. I don't know how much
>> effort to date has been put in to making boot fast.
>
> Right now newbus uses Giant for all its locking. =A0That's the biggest pr=
oblem preventing parallel probe/attach. =A0Also, each and every bus calls p=
robe, then calls attach for each device in sequence. =A0Fixing that would r=
equire changing all the bus drivers.

Fair enough. That would only be worthwhile in the presence of a
coordinated push to shorten boot / reset times.

Thanks